Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Five things to get your day started in St. Clair Shores.
Here are a few items to help get your day started. 1. The National Weather Service is forecasting a 40 percent chance of showers with a high near 69 and light winds. Let's hope for the 60 percent chance of sun. 2. Check out the winning photo from the Your Patch of Michigan photo contest. During the contest's eight weeks, readers submitted nearly 2,000 images. Check out the winning photos from the past eight weeks. 3. The Lakeview vs. South Lake football game is in the running to be the WDIV-TV Game of the Week. Vote early and often to have the game featured this Friday. 4. Just because it is early in the week doesn't mean you can't jam. The Blue Goose Inn will have open jam night with Phil Devoid. 5. Know a great kid who made Eagle Scout …
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
South Lake Valedictorian plans to become an officer and orthopedic surgeon in the U.S. Army.
- May Mulla
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Whiz kid’s name: Regan Steen Whiz kid’s age: South Lake High School class of 2011. Whiz kid’s accomplishment: Valedictorian of the South Lake High School Class of 2011. Regan achieved a grade point average of 4.096 and will attend Norwich University in Northfield, VT, majoring in chemistry. She plans to study medicine with the goal of becoming an officer and orthopedic surgeon in the U.S. Army. The daughter of Bill and Trish Steen, Regan was involved in a multitude of extracurricular activities, including varsity track, Science Olympiad, Diversity Council, National Honor Society, Republican Club, and U.S. Naval Sea Cadets. Regan is also a member of her church youth group and has gone on several summer mission trips, earning more than 500 …
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Lakeview junior wins First Place in Congressional Art Competition
Whiz kid’s name: Alecia Hansen Whiz kid’s age: 17. She is a junior at Lakeview High School. Whiz kid’s accomplishment: Alecia won first place in the 29th Annual Congressional Art Competition. She won for the 12th Congressional District, which is represented by U.S. Rep. Sander Levin. Alecia’s artwork, a water-color painting titled “Violet Landscape,” is being displayed for one year in the Cannon Corridor of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., along with winning pieces from other congressional districts. Whiz kid’s key to awesomeness: “Alecia is incredibly talented. She puts forth a great deal of effort and thought into her art. She has grown so much as an artist in the past few years,” said Lakeview art teacher Katie Burkardt. "…
Thursday, May 26, 2011
U.S. Rep. Sander Levin sponsors South Lake junior for the Congressional Page Program.
Whiz kid’s name: Ashley Tomasello Whiz kid’s age: Junior Whiz kid’s school: South Lake High School Whiz kid’s accomplishment: U.S. Rep. Sander Levin, D-Royal Oak, sponsored Ashley for the Congressional Page Program offered by the U.S. House of Representatives. She will serve as a Congressional page from June 26 through Aug. 6, 2011 in Washington, D.C. Ashley also is an active member of the varsity tennis team, National Honor Society Student Congress, environmental club, treasurer of the junior class, and a LINK Leader for freshmen. She also volunteers as a tutor at her home elementary school, Avalon. “The Congressional Page Program gives high school students a first-hand look at how our government operates and how federal policy is made in…