The Macomb County Sheriff's Office reminds motorists and students about the following bus traffic safety rules:
Tips for students:
- Children should arrive at their bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- When the bus approaches, stand at least three giant steps or six feet away from the street or curb.
- Do not cross the road or enter the bus until the driver says or signals that it is okay.
- Never walk behind the bus or along side the bus where the bus driver is not able to see you.
Tips for drivers:
- Drivers must approach a school bus cautiously.
- Prepare to stop when a slowing bus has its overhead yellow lights flashing.
- You must come to a complete stop at least 20 feet away from the bus when its overhead red lights are flashing.
- Be especially alert where children congregate near bus stops.
“The greatest risk for these children is not riding the bus, but when they are approaching or leaving the bus,” Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said in a release.