Plan to Vote in November? Register by Oct. 9

Voters may register or pick up an absent voter ballot application at St. Clair Shores City Hall.

The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is just around the corner. 

Local residents have until Oct. 9 to register at Clerk's office in City Hall (open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.), at a Secretary of State branch office (hours vary per branch), at the Macomb County Clerk's office (open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) or by mail. In order to vote, you must:

  • be 18 years or older on or before election day
  • be a citizen of the U.S.
  • have lived in Michigan for at least 30 days
  • be registered on or before the close of registration

Voter applications are available at the offices listed above as well as online at www.Michigan.gov/sos. 

  • If you hand-deliver your application, the staff person helping will take your form and you don't need to do anything else.
  • If you have never registered to vote in Michigan and choose to mail in your application, you will need to meet an identification requirement, meaning you must enter your driver's license number or personal ID card number where requested on the form or send a photocopy with your app of your driver's license, personal ID, paycheck stub, utility bill, bank document or government document that lists both your name and your address.

Voter registration records may be verified by contacting the City Clerk at 586-447-3303 or the County Election division at 586-469-5209.

St. Clair Shores residents may apply for an absentee ballot for the election at the county clerk's office by mail, fax or request an application by phone or email. Applications are also available for download. Your ballot will be mailed immediately.

You can receive an absentee ballot if:

  • You are unable to vote without assistance.
  • You are 60 or older.
  • You expect to be absent from the city on Election Day.
  • You are in jail, awaiting arraignment or trial.
  • You have been assigned to work as a precinct worker in a precinct other than where you are registered.
  • You are unable to attend the polls because of religious beliefs.

If you are temporarily outside the United States, you can use a federal postcard application (FPCA) to apply for an absent voter ballot. The FPCA must be signed under oath unless you, your spouse or your parents are serving in the armed forces or merchant marine.

All ballots must be back to the clerk's office by 8 p.m. Nov. 6, Election Day.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »