A kitchen fire in a home in the 3100 block of Jefferson Monday led police to shut down southbound traffic on the roadway to allow firefighters to battle the blaze.
Fire officials said the blaze likely started by an unattended item cooking on the stovetop. A resident of the two-story home called 911 to report the kitchen was on fire, according to Battalion Chief Walt Jenuwine.
He said crews were returning to the station from a gas leak nearby on Recreation when they received the call of the fire. Firefighters were able to respond and extinguish the blaze quickly, and there were no injuries. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but there smoke damage throughout the house.
While there were no injuries, Jenuwine said efforts were taken to rest firefighters who were battling the blaze in over 90 degree heat.