WWJ Newsradio 950 has once again teamed up with The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) to produce the 10th Annual Winter Survival Radiothon on February 1-2, 2013 to help our neighbors in need keep the lights and heat on this winter.
The live broadcast takes place at Art Van Furniture (6500 14 Mile Road) in Warren from 5:00 am to 10:00 pm on Friday, February 1st and 9:00 am to noon on Saturday, February 2nd. Art Van will be open normal business hours (Friday 10:00 am to 9:00 pm; Saturday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm) during the Radiothon.
Volunteers and supporters from local businesses, schools and community organizations will work the phone banks receiving donations. Appearances from area leaders and personalities from the government, business, entertainment, and sports sectors will be on hand during the Radiothon to encourage donations and offer their support of THAW’s mission.
In conjunction with the Radiothon, there are several supplementary events and fundraisers to engage the public, including:
- “THAW Me Out” – New for 2013, “THAW Me Out” is a fundraising challenge where individuals and groups will be left “in the cold” to sit on furniture carved from blocks of ice created by Oakland Community College culinary arts students. Participants will have to collect pledges from family and friends to get “THAWed out.”
- Fitness Challenges – Participants in the Fitness Challenge will raise money through pledges from family and friends for THAW. On February 1st, employees from Compuware and Quicken Loans will run shifts on Treadmills and exercycles in the Wellness Center at Compuware and Quicken Loans Headquarters.
- Pennies for Power – A fundraising and energy education campaign running November through January has students from eight metro Detroit elementary schools competing in a school-wide penny (and other coin) drive to support THAW.
- 2nd Annual Celebrity Coneys for a Cause – Celebrity servers made up of local media personalities, entertainers and athletes will be on hand January 31st from 11 am to 2:00 pm to serve lunch customers at American Coney Island located at 114 W. Lafayette in Detroit. A portion from the sales of coney and coney combo specials will be donated to THAW.
- Online Auction – Beginning Tuesday, January 29th at 6 am and running through Monday, February 4th at 6 pm, bid on exciting regional items from Detroit's leading businesses, cultural institutions and sporting venues. Go to www.cbsdetroit.com and click on the Radiothon button and select the Auction link.
Donations may be made by calling the Winter Survival Radiothon Hotline at (888) 579-4950, online at www.thawfund.org or www.cbsdetroit.com and new this year, a mobile pledging option where supporters simply text the word “THAW” and any donation amount to 41444 using a credit or debit card. Supporters who make a donation of $250 or more will be included in the 950 Club and will receive a special item.