The Optimists Club of St. Clair Shores joined with the Nautical Mile Merchants Association Friday to host the 13th Annual Nautical Mile Chili Cook-Off at Blossom Heath Inn.
Twenty-eight chefs - including from brother vs. sister competition, restaurants and a school superintendent - entered a variety of chilies featuring ingredients ranging from beer to buffalo.
- Best Restaurant: Blossom Heath's Crop Duster
- Best Individual Red Meat: Dale Rosenquist's Gunsmoke-N-Honey
- Best Individual White Meat: Timothy and Theresa's T-N-T Turkey Tootin Chili
- Best Wild Game: Ruth Sliva's Deer Hunters Delight
- Best Decorated Space: Dale Rosenquist's Gunsmoke-N-Honey
- Best Chili Name: Blossom Heath's Crop Duster
- President's Choice Award: Lakeview Schools' 11 Mile Inferno
- Mayor's Choice Award: Cherie Mascarello's Hog Wild Chili
- People's Choice Award: Keith Millard's K&M Chili (This was Keith's second year in a row winning this award)
- School District Award: Lake Shores Schools' Chili in the Buff (This is the inaugural year for this award and Lake Shore received the inaugural "Chili Bowl" award)
Nearly 300 people attended the event, according to Jim Kaza, Cook-Off co-chairman. He added an estimated $1,500 was raised to help support community projects sponsored by the Optimist Club of St. Clair Shores and the Nautical Mile Merchants Association.
Some of the programs and events sponsored by the Optimist Club of St. Clair Shores include the Santa Station, Thanksgiving Food Baskets and the first annual St. Clair Shores Police “Call to Courage” Recognition & Awards Breakfast and the St. Clair Shores Fire Department “First Responders Appreciation & Awards Breakfast.”