The St. Clair Shores store has made the cut.
After disappointing holiday sales, Sears Holdings announced Thursday the first list of Sears and Kmart stores set to close.
The longstanding Kmart on Harper was not included in the list of 79 stores selected to close. However, at nearby Eastland Mall in Harper Woods, the Sears store is slated to be closed. A closing date has not been set.
On Tuesday, the retailer stated that 100 to 120 stores nationwide would shut their doors, but it did not say how many employees will lose their jobs in this cost-savings endeavor.
- Nora Wilke wrote, "I would! I still love to look around the Big K!"
- Michelle Pierce wrote, "Nope. Gave up on them years ago. Target is for me!"
- Tommy Penner wrote, "My mom would take us shopping there when we were little, and we thought it was actually pretty cool at the time. Now though, I wouldn't mind seeing that huge plot of land occupied with something new."
- Jennifer Koles-Monday wrote: "I think Kmart is over priced compared to Target, so nope I wouldn't be sad!"
- Chris Meserve Vasilko wrote, "I would be sad to see another former Kmart store sitting empty with the old Roseville store still empty. Seems a shame, but they just can't seem to keep up with the competition."
- Russ Robinson wrote, "I constantly read about crime being committed there, be it store theft or robberies...No, would not miss it."
- Dawn Ricard Choike wrote "If they DO close down, it WILL become another empty lot like the old Roseville store. And that would be a horrible thing to happen in our neighborhood!"
- Jill Miller wrote, "Good riddance! I've shopped there once this year and it was a welcome reminder of why I don't and won't in the future!"
- Maria Martinez wrote, "Absolutely NOT!!!!! Good riddens and make way for new development! Thats a prime spot in our city that is critical 2 economic development (sic)! 17,000 cars pass @ that intersection daily! Imagine the possibilities if u cld redevelop south and north sides of 9 mile ( west side). Im praying for a closure! For the record the city manager has said they have hoped 2 get access 2 that property for yrs (sic)! This could be our big break!!!"
- Chris Briggs wrote, "They need to close the 9/Harper store. That store attracts some not so nice people. I think they could find a good store to fill the building. Lots of cars drive by that place."
- Tiffany Vangunten Brocker wrote, "It would be a hardship for the employees but I would not miss it at all. I had a horrible experience there last week and will not shop there again. Super K is just a few minutes away so if you need a Kmart near by there is still one close."
- Lisa Kipke wrote, "After reading all the negatives you all list, I feel the need to share my two cents as well. The employees of this store are very nice, helpful and knowledgeable. Since purchasing a home in SCS recently, I’ve been here quite a few times and enjoy using the rewards card. It does attract all kinds of people, like any store, you take the good with the bad and be aware and be careful… like you would anywhere."
- Jill Spurlin Mostek wrote, "I would miss it. I love that it's so close to home. It's convenient."