Every summer for the past 15 years the has held a summer program playground program for children with special needs.
Participants take field trips, go swimming and take part in arts, crafts and sports activities during the camp.
But before the camp starts, the community comes together for a Coney dog dinner fundraiser catered by in the .
The popular coney chain, which has three locations in St. Clair Shores, brings in a mobile catering stand and makes each dog to order—with or without chili, mustard, extra onions or with everything!
The dinner, which is sponsored by Christian Financial Credit Union, will be held from 4-8 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at the and features coney dogs, pop, chips and treats.
Proceeds from the dinner help offset the costs of the summer program for children who are blind, have Down Syndrome and other disorders.
As part of Patch's commitment to be part of our community and support local organizations, and promoting one of Metro Detroit's favorite dishes—Coney dogs—St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Patch are helping promote the dinner by offering four tickets to our readers.
How do you enter? That's as easy as spreading a heaping helping of Coney sauce on a hot dog.
In the comment section below, share with Patch your favorite Coney Island restaurant in Detroit, or if you prefer, what toppings you like on a hot dog. Just leave your comment by 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 2.
The winner of the four tickets will be randomly selected from the entries. The tickets will be available at the Patch table at the dinner.
Coney for Kids will be held from 4-8 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at the . The dinner features Coney dogs, pop, chips and treats.
Tickets are $5 per person and $3 per person for children 12-years-old and younger. Tickets are available at the door and available at .
Update: Joe Grimm, One of the authors of the new book Coney Detroit, will be attending the dinner with Patch. Meet Grimm, and chat with him about the history of Coney Island hot dogs in Detroit during the dinner.
Now for the legal notice:
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- To enter, readers will post their favorite Coney Island restaurant, or their favorite Coney dog toppings, on St. Clair Shores Patch or Grosse Pointe Patch.
- All entries must be received by 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Wednesday, May 2.
- You may enter once by posting your favorite Coney Island restaurant, or their favorite Coney dog toppings.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing.
- One grand prize winner will be selected. The winner will receive four tickets to the Coney for Kids dinner at the Senior Center for the Shores. Approximate retail value of the tickets: $5 each.
- Click .