I'm a believer of good old fashion fun! Is it possible to survive a summer without breaking the bank? Since I'm a mom of three, the oldest is almost 16, we have had many fun adventures! I really just remembered what we used to do as a family when I was a kid and try to create those memories with our kids!
Here is a list of activities we have enjoyed:
- Library, usually we just spend time there and the kids enjoy reading the books they pick out. Many libraries also offer free or inexpensive activities,
- City splash park
- Take the dog for a walk,
- Catch local "free trial" days,
- Board, card or video game night...or day,
- Make cupcakes, let the kids do most of it, especially decorate them,
- Use good report cards to rent movie/video games,
- Get the Slip and Slide or sprinkler out,
- Lemonade stand,
- Spend time with extended family,
- Play "school" and they can do the summer packets, take turns playing teacher,
- Go to the park and have a picnic,
- Catch local firework displays,
- Movie night (put blankets and pillows on the floor, turn the lights off and make popcorn!),
- Bonfire, with s'mores, of course,
- School playground, bring favorite sports equipment too. We've played baseball, lacrosse, tennis, Frisbee, kickball,
- Bike rides,
- Go for a walk,
- Each child's favorite activity, separately, for one-on-one attention,
- Just let the kids play and be kids.
With the many activities kids have during the school year and our busy work schedules, it is nice to slow it down and enjoy the lazy days of summer! Share your fun activities you have had with your family!