Here's a guide to cider mills and apple orchards that are less than an hour drive from St. Clair Shores.
New this year to the popular autumn destination is a haunted 3D maze and a "zombie paintball safari." Other tried-and-true attractions include train rides, hay rides, pony rides, a straw maze, story book barn, animal petting farm, barnyard funland, straw mountain and more. Blake's also offer u-pick fruits and vegetables and a store filled with tasty treats and fresh apple cider.
- Location: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada, MI 48005
- Hours: Open daily 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 586-784-5343
This popular historic cider mill in Oakland County is described as a "one-of-a-kind living piece of history." Its favorite cider and donuts are joined by apples, baked goods, meats and cheeses, jams, honey and vegetables. Parking is free.
- Location: 7450 Franklin Rd., Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301 (corner of 14 Mile and Franklin, 1 mile west of Telegraph)
- Hours: weekdays - 7 a.m.-6:30 p.m., weekends - 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m.
- Contact: 248-626-8261
Home of the world-famous Pistachio Nut Bread, Goodison also serves up fresh pressed cider, warm donuts, home-baked goods, and weekend fun for children and adults in the fall. Parking is free.
- Location: 4295 Orion Rd., Oakland Township, MI 48306
- Hours: Open daily 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 248-652-8450
Guests can pick their own apples at Hy's or buy a bushel at the store. Cider is also available.
- Location: 6350 37 Mile Rd., Romeo, MI 48065
- Hours: Open through Oct. 28, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays
- Contact: 810-798-3611
The donuts, pies and cider are the main attractions at this family-owned cider mill.
- Location: 46462 Dequindre Ave (just south of Auburn Road), Shelby Township, MI 48317
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 586-731-6699
Through October, Miller's guests can pick their own apples and pumpkins, stop by the petting zoo and straw mountain, or visit the store for hand-dipped caramel apples, fresh pressed cider, donuts, pies, jams and jellies and much more. Visit the website for haunted hayride dates and ticket information.
- Location: 4900 32 Mile Rd, Washington, MI 48035
- Hours: Open daily 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 586-752-7888
The Paint Creek Cider Mill features a lunch and dinner menu, many different flavors of ice cream, smoothies and, of course, local cider and fresh doughnuts that are made on-site. There's pizza, too! Visit the Paint Creek Cider Mill's website and Facebook page for more information.
- Location: 4480 Orion Road, Oakland Township, MI 48306
- Hours: Daily, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Contact: 248-656-3400 or email@example.com.
The Parshallville Cider and Grist Mill, also known as Tom Walker's Grist Mill, was built in 1869. It is a water powered grist mill and a must-see for anyone visiting the area in the autumn months. It offers homemade donuts, cider and pies that are made on the premises.
- Location: 8507 Parshallville Road, Fenton, MI 48430
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 810-629-9079
From the corn maza and petting farm, to the giant hay climbing pyramid and antique wall, all activities at Rochester Cider Mill are free.
- Location: 5125 N. Rochester Rd. (2 miles north of downtown Rochester), Oakland Township, MI 48306
- Hours: Call to confirm hours; for the weekend of Sept. 22-23, hours are 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 248-651-4224
Spicer Orchards Farm Market and Cider Mill has been run by the Spicer family for five generations. It has a bakery, cider mill, gift shop and winery. Kids can have fun with free hayrides, pony rides, corn maze, face painting and the kids corral. At the winery, adults can partake in free wine tasting at the outdoor tasting patio.
- Location: 10411 Clyde Road, Fenton, MI 48430
- Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Contact: 810-632-7692
Verellen Orchards is open year round, but guests during the fall seaseon will find cider, several varietes of fresh apples and other fruits, vegetables, coffee cakes, ice cream, eggs, honey, cookies and more.
- Location: 63260 Van Dyke, Washington, MI 48095
- Hours: Open daily 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 586-752-2989
Every weekend Westview hosts a different themed festival; this weekend is Cider Fest. Guests can also visit the petting zoo, try their luck in a 6-acre corn maze, or pick their own apples and pumpkins. In the store, guests will find fresh apples, 10-inch deep-dish pies, donuts, fruit flips, breads and, of course, fresh apple cider. See the website for weekend activity fees.
- Location: 65075 Van Dyke, Washington Township, MI 48095
- Hours: Farm market open 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Contact: 586-752-3123
Pankiewicz boosts a ultra-violet treated cider that maintains freshness and taste. It also has produce, donuts, carmelcorn, carmel apples and other goodies that await hungry customers at the business going on its 29th year of operation.
- Location: 10377 Lindsey Road (29 Mile Road) in Casco
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day but Wednesdays in September, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week in October, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends only in November.
- Contact: 586-727-9051
Last but not least, Yates is one of the most popular cider mills in the local area. Read more in Michigan's Apple Shortage Won't Detract From Rich History of Yates Cider Mill. Specializing in cider, the mill also sells donuts, pies, apple butter, cider slush and caramel apples.
- Location: 1990 E. Avon Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48307
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m.-7 p.m. in October
- Contact: 248-651-8300
Wait! One more thing! Take your camera and capture the scenes of fall, then upload them to this gallery for a chance to win a $100 gas card!